HIVE Directory: Financial & Legal Support

Advice Portsmouth The You Trust

Advice Portsmouth provides free, independent, impartial and confidential advice to people living in Portsmouth. Our Purpose is to give the right advice and appropriate support to help clients solve their problems

Our team of qualified professionals, support staff and dedicated volunteers provide general and specialist advice in social welfare advice in the fields of debt, welfare benefits, employment, housing, family and consumer law.
116 Kingston Cres
North End
023 9279 4340

Age UK Portsmouth - Information & Advice Service

We provide free, independent and confidential information and advice on a wide range of issues affecting people over the age of 50 in Portsmouth and the local area.

Our Information & Advice service is open from 8.45am to 5.00pm on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday at the Bradbury Centre. We can offer telephone advice or face-to-face office appointments and even home visits if necessary.

Our aim is to provide you with the facts so that you can make choices and decisions knowing that you have reliable information.

Issues we can help you with
• Welfare benefits and entitlements
• Housing choices
• Money matters
• Blue Badge applications
• Health and social care
• Staying independent at home
• Residential and nursing care
• Leisure and social activities
• Family and personal matters
• Legal issues
• Your rights

Welfare benefits
Benefits enquiries are one of our most common requests, and last year we were able to help claim over £1.3 million in benefits for older people living in the Portsmouth area. It is estimated that every year over £3.5 billion of benefits goes unclaimed across the country, with three million older people living below the poverty line.

Many people are put off claiming either by the complexity of the benefits system, or they assume they cannot claim anything because they have a private pension or have some savings or own their home.

We have a team of trained staff and volunteers who can check to see if you are entitled to claim any welfare or disability benefits, and can help you through the claims process from start to finish. If needed we can give you assistance filling in all of the forms.

Legal issues
Every two weeks legal advisors from Biscoes Solicitors offer free 20 minute appointments at the Bradbury Centre to provide advice on matters such as Wills, Power of Attorney, Probate and other legal issues.
023 9288 3500

Buttle Chances for Children

Our Chances for Children grants are targeted at those living in financial hardship, and dealing with multiple challenging social issues.

They are made directly to children and young people who are facing a range of complex issues. They are tailored to their particular needs, in order to prevent them from falling further into crisis and help them to transform their lives. The grants pay for a range of items and costs, many of which are those we would expect any child growing up in the UK to have, but which their parents or carers cannot afford. In a small number of cases, where home is not the best place for a child to be, the grant pays for them to attend boarding school.

What makes our Chances for Children grants different is that they offer a holistic funding package designed to meet the multiple needs of vulnerable children and young people. The grants meet immediate practical needs by paying for household items, but also meet a child’s longer-term educational and emotional needs. As such, we have found that they can have a disproportionately positive impact compared to their monetary value; in some cases, they are transformational. There is nothing else like them available within the social care sector.
15 Greycoat Place
020 7828 7311

Churchers Solicitors

Churchers are a leading Hampshire law firm, at your service whether you are a business or an individual. With over 150 years offering support and advice to the local community we have the knowledge and expertise to help you with all your legal requirements and offer a comprehensive range of legal services.

We pride ourselves in providing a professional but personal service tailored for you or your business, delivered in a hassle free way and in a language you can understand.
01329 822 333

Citizens Advice - Armed Forces Benefits and Money Advice

Armed Forces Covenant – This is a service providing broad help and support to veterans, serving members of the armed forces and their families.
023 9400 6600

Citizens Advice Portsmouth Money Advice

Citizens Advice Portsmouth has operated in Portsmouth for more than 83 years. They offer free, impartial and confidential advice in person, on the telephone and online to the people of Portsmouth.
2-3 Ark Royal House, Winston Churchill Avenue
023 9400 6600

Citizens Advice Portsmouth Reception and Triage Service

Citizens Advice Portsmouth has operated in Portsmouth for more than 83 years. They offer free, impartial and confidential advice in person, on the telephone and online to the people of Portsmouth.
2-3 Ark Royal House, Winston Churchill Avenue
023 9400 6600

Money Advice Service

The Money Advice Service website allows you to save and print out your budget, and make arrangements and plans on that basis
120 Holborn
0800 138 7777

Portsmouth Water - Problems Paying?

Portsmouth Water offers assistance to people struggling to pay their water bills.
West Street
023 9249 9888

SSAFA Hampshire (Armed Forces Charity)

We provide lifelong support to those who are serving or have served in the British Army, Royal Navy, Royal Marines or the Royal Air Force, and to their families. Founded in 1885, we’re extremely proud of our long-standing heritage and of all the work we do with inspiring people from Hampshire, across the UK and around the world.

Our support covers both regulars and reserves in the Royal Navy, the Royal Marines, the British Army and the Royal Air Force and their families, including anyone who has completed National Service. They are all entitled to lifelong support from SSAFA, no matter how long they have served.
0800 260 6767

Can't find what you're looking for?

Do you find that HIVE directory is generally useful?